Once upon a time, I had a poetry professor who called it serendipity when I drew a blank on a line in a poem.
The line was “a lonely impulse of delight” from W. B. Yeats “An Irish Airman Foresees His Death.”
I’ve always thought it funny that he looked at my forgetfulness of that particular line as serendipity.
This week, I thought I should just delve into quotes on serendipity. I define serendipity as happy accidents. The dictionary prefers to define it as “the occurrence or development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.” So, you know, happy accidents.🙂
“Vital lives are about action. You can’t feel warmth unless you create it, can’t feel delight until you play, can’t know serendipity unless you risk.” ~ Joan Erickson
“What people call serendipity sometimes is just having your eyes open.” ~ Jose Manuel Barroso
“Serendipity is the gift of finding things we didn’t know we were already unconsciously looking for.” ~ Glauco Ortolano
“One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.” ~ French Proverb (and serendipity visiting the reluctant, as well.)
“In reality, serendipity accounts for 1% of the blessings we receive in life, work, and love. The other 99% is due to our efforts.” ~ Peter McWilliams
“Risk-taking, trust, and serendipity are key ingredients of joy. Without risk, nothing new ever happens. Without trust, fear creeps in. Without serendipity, there are no surprises.” ~ Rita Golden Gelman
May your weekend bring you a happy, accidental discovery.
Blessings to you all.